Are Moms Really That Busy?

Exploiting Buster on "Dr. Phil"

Yeah, so, I was on Dr. Phil today — totally exploiting my baby. He was well-behaved, but more importantly, he was well lit, a lesson you can’t learn too early in this life.
The topic was about moms and free time; some social scientist came out with a study saying moms have 30-40 hours of free time. In my estimation, this is a loose definition of the term “free.”
For example, if my head was in the guillotine, technically, I would have to log that two minutes before my execution as “free time,” yet it wouldn’t seem that relaxing. I made this analogy on the show, but I assume it was removed because a) French execution jokes not in line with Dr. Phil audience taste 2) It wasn’t really funny, but I think the point is apt. Perhaps a sociologist can log our time and show that we have more of it than we thought, emotionally, though, it’s all screwed up.
When my baby is napping, he could sleep an hour, he could sleep two hours, he could start wailing ten minutes after I put him down. I have to be prepared for all of these eventualities, thus, this so-called “free” time is not free of worry. You know what I mean if you’re a parent, because even though you may get a few spare minutes here or there, the kid doesn’t fax you a schedule ahead of time and he doesn’t give you a heads-up when his needs are going to change. The notification that you are on duty isn’t subtle or polite.
Anyway, the professor who did the study was a very nice man in a serious Bill Cosby sweater. They may have also cut this out, but I’m haunted by it so why not let it all out here? I mentioned his sweater on the episode as if to say, “You must be smart, look at your sweater” — meaning, “professors always wear tweed and the like, and you are obviously in the garb of a learned man.” Sadly, it came out more, “you’re sweater is ugly and I’m being a snarky asshole.”

Tone, tone, tone. Sometimes, mine just sucks. I apologized to him after the show, and he couldn’t have cared less. In fact, he told me he loved that sweater, had owned it 25 years and wouldn’t let the wardrobe department talk him out of wearing it. Bless his smart heart.

Still, it wouldn’t be a day if there wasn’t something I wish I could take back. Too bad I used my life time supply of “do-overs” playing ping pong with my brother.

Here is more info and some clips from the show, if you’re interested.

I know not everyone loves Dr. Phil, but he and his staff are so mom-friendly. In fact, just before this episode, I was pumping milk in my dressing room, which they arranged so I could have some privacy. He hired me when I was eight months pregnant, three weeks post baby and now, so I’m grateful. Mommy needs to keep her union insurance.

Buster, let the exploitation begin.

If you leave a nice comment, Dr. Phil may have me back. No pressure. Buster and I will be just fine at the free clinic when our coverage runs out.

58 Responses to “Are Moms Really That Busy?”

1. Trace
    June 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

Off Topic
    Teresa, have you bought your baby those “Huggies Jeans” yet?

On the road to becoming a “Never-nude” :)

2. Lisa
    May 13, 2010 at 12:49 am #

Hi T,

I love your and Lynette’s show. I even listen to it before I listen to Adam’s now. (We all know he is going to repeat things anyway! lol) But I love both. I especially loved the last show with Molly. I have heard you speak of your breastfeeding story and my heart breaks for you. I tried to breastfeed with my first, who is now 16. I made it maybe 3 days. Memory is fuzzy now. When my other 2 children were born I just said no. I heard my share of flack in the hospital and my husband had people tell him I should just “suck it up and do it”. My kids are smart and healthy and happy. My 16 year old doesn’t ask about his BF experience. At this point in his life he wouldn’t want to know, let alone relish the thought of being attached to my breast.

Also love your analogy of the nickels. You are smart and clever. I have 3 kids and know what its like to not have any free time. Not only that I work PT also and have been taking college classes for the last year. Now I think they throw pennies at me instead of nickels.

Thank you for the entertainment and fun I get from your podcasts.

3. Spence
    May 11, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Hey Teresa,
    I just came here for the first time after hearing you plug it for (I don’t know) maybe two years. It’s awesome and so are you. You are hilarious, smart and beautiful. The Almost Live Podcasts you do with Adam and Bald B. are the best. We probably don’t see eye to eye on many political issues, but someone who works as hard as you do can do whatever they want with their money and opinions.

4. Geoff
    May 7, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

Hey Theresa!

I’ve missed you ever since the Adam Carolla Show was taken off the air. I enjoyed checking this blog and seeing how motherhood is treating you. As a father of 2 with 1 on the way, I always found your posts to be refreshing.

Not so much exploiting going on these days! Please pick up the pace :)

5. Greg
    May 5, 2010 at 4:19 pm #

So, Miss Liberal, you said on the Adam Carolla podcast that you would be afraid to drive through Arizona because you might be mistaken for a Mexican. Then you said now that you have a car seat in your inexpensive car, that should set you apart. Are you saying that Mexicans do not take proper care of their children? Many a truth is told in jest.

May 5, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

I’m sorry. I don’t follow your logic. And I’m pretty sure you didn’t follow mine based on your note.
      Having a car seat would set me apart from people who do not have kids, not from people who are Latino. I think that point was made pretty clearly, but sometimes when it comes to heated issues, it’s tough to listen carefully.
      Usually, when people get super critical, they just hate my politics. Sorry!
      Miss Liberal

• lakewiz
        June 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm #

Always has to be one……its hard to follow logic in its absence. After being stopped by sherrif joe’s goon squad not once but three times now. Let me give a bit of prespective. 15 min into the ” well your name isn’t anywhere on this reg or ins” BS I was getting, I asked for the 5th time “why was I stopped?” No joke…….”you crossed the white line” EXACT WORDS. Irony couldn’t be more plainly demonstrated. Now, playing the race card isn’t my game but…..immigration enforcement…is a DISTANT second to hate an racism in this state. Sorry Ace…….as another wise man once said…..” I cant define it or describe it……but I know it when I see it.”

• lakewiz
          June 22, 2010 at 11:13 pm #

Sorry left out it was the company truck.

6. Jessica Longoria
    May 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

I saw the show and because I am looking after my 22 month old son, I am just now replying. By the way, I miss you and Adam severely.

I almost fell off the couch laughing watching the show. I loved your comments about giving someone $1000 in nickels. Also, you are so right that there is more at stake when I am taking care of my son versus going to my part-time job. If my son runs out the front door, he may be hit by a car. If he runs out into our back yard, he could fall into the swimming pool. It is my job to keep him alive!

Jessica

7. Julianne Gorman
    April 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm #

Okay,

I found you and Lynette on iTunes and downloaded all of the recorded episodes and then, as is my way, I binge listened during my commute until I was all caught up. Which I thought would make me happy, but instead, just want more opportunities to laugh with the disembodied voices of my Mom friends. I have a huge mouth and have taken ever opportunity presented to hip my less cool Mom friends to your Podcast.

Love the blog. Never saw the Dr Phil episode in question because if I DVR that show someone’s getting divorce papers for dinner. (Mr G is wee tiny very intolerant.)

But I heart you.

8. shania twain karaoke
    April 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

I think moms are indeed busy when it comes to a newborn baby. Dr. Phil is right in this regard.

9. Amommyof2
    April 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

I would argue that if you are a mother (especially with a baby) you don’t have ANY free time. Even in my sleep I am worrying or waking up because I thought I heard my son cry. When I am away I am worrying about what they are doing, eating, sleeping, etc. The only time I have that could ever be conceived of as “free” is after the kids are asleep. Alas…I am too tired to do anything at that point!

10. Tara Brown
    April 20, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Before i was pregnant I would ask all my Mom friends why the hell they didn’t have time to do anything. They would complain that they couldn’t pee or brush their teeth…this was pure insanity to my ears. One Mom said she wouldn’t drink water all day for fear of having to pee and put her baby down, another said she would hold her baby while she peed. I do understand these crazy people now that I have a 7 week old although I don’t subscribe to their same philosophies in lack of hygiene.

I do understand the having to be on stand-by in case the kid cries…I am practicing attachment parenting and I guess it means that you don’t let them cry, you pick them up when they fuss and feed on demand. I’m like an on-guard vending machine.

It’s also hard to not get frustrated when you are just one minute away from hitting submit on a post or a long though out email and he cries. “Ok, just a sec, I’m coming, don’t worry, on my way…OK OK” It’s impossible to keep focus when that happens.

A friend said to me that you need to lower your expectations on accomplishments. When doing the dishes used to be a no brainer task, now if you can get them done, it’s the most important and amazing accomplishment of the day.

11. April
    April 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

Hi there, I was wondering if I could ask you a question via email. Any chance you could email me? I’d greatly appreciate it :) Thanks!

12. Luke
    April 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Hey there Teresa. I haven’t tuned into to hear you on Adam’s podcast in a while, but then I saw this ad today ( http://www.lets-panic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/mommy_blog_ad.jpg ) and it made me think of you. Weird, I know… But honest. I’ll have to pick you guys up again. I miss the morning laughs on my drive to work.

April 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm #

Not wanting to seem more like a suck up or anything … but using the site that summertime found (uber cool by the way) … you kick DAG’s fans asses all the way to next Tuesday and half way back. It seems they rate “almost dumb as a bag of hammers” … whereas your fans dear Teresa are almost high honor roll material. I won’t mention your score against our dear ACE man … because we love him too !

sheila

14. summertime
    April 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm #

I can’t find a direct email for you on here, so I apologize for leaving an off topic comment, but I couldn’t help myself.

There’s this twitter database online where you can compare twitterer’s (tweeters’? I don’t know) followers, and see who is smarter/dumber. There are various criteria that the database uses like grammar and spelling and the like. ANYWAY, I put in you vs. Roger Ebert… your followers are totally smarter. Congrats! That is all.

April 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

Hey there Ms. T,

First I want to say, I’m next in line after Blissfully Caffeinated to punch that guy in the face – seriously. I’ve been a Mom for two decades and have had a paid job in addition to the parent job the entire time. I also, was one of those parents who volunteered at the school, I helped create Theater Arts programs a two LAUSD schools my kids attended because I think an education isn’t “complete” without Art, Music and Sports. While I’ve had “unscheduled” time over the past 20 years, hardly any of it would I consider entirely “free” because … I am at the beck and call of two other human beings whose needs, wants and desires are at the top of my priority list. That isn’t to say that they haven’t heard the word “No” – or “Hell No” …they’ll be happy to tell you that they have from time to time felt my joy found its genesis in harshing their mellow (untrue, but funny). I think that is the “big picture” concept that Dr. Fugly Sweater missed. If you are being held captive by terrorists, they will occassionally leave you alone – but your not “free” because you know that at some unpredicatable moment you will be “back on”. Not equating parenthood to being held in violation of the Geneva Conventions … but your time simply isn’t “your” time, until they move into a dorm.

Great post and great to see you on Dr. Phil, whom I find infinitely more tolerable when you are on the show.

16. mattaniah
    April 13, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

Teresa i just wanted to stop by and say i loved you on the adam carolla show (especially with DAG :) and my favorite ACE podcasts are the ones with you. Your honesty is refreshing. Your comedic timing is finely tuned!
    you’re a lovely person.

17. Carrie Jo
    April 11, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

30-40 hours per week? I would love for them to spend some time with my baby who thinks 10 minute naps are totally fine, even though he’s barely 3 months old. Unless he’s attached to me in a carrier of some sort. Even then, if I sit down for more than 20 minutes most of the time, he will wake up very cranky. After doing that for a few weeks I would love to hear their theories about amount of free time.

18. A fan from the Adam Carolla show/podcast
    April 11, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

Even though I cannot in any way relate to the topic of this post, I always enjoy reading your blog/essays & I’m happy for your personal / professional happiness.

19. Amy
    April 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

I’ve seen you on a few episodes of Dr. Phil and I love you. As far as moms having free time I’m not that experienced in this department. I’m a 25 year old with no husband and no kids but I think moms are very busy. I think that being a mom is a full time job. So I applaud you and all the other moms. YAY MOMS!!!!

20. blissfully caffeinated
    April 7, 2010 at 11:10 am #

This guy says moms have 30-40 hours of free time? Per week? I would have punched him in the face. For real.

21. Lee
    April 5, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

T,

That was frackn’ hilarious. I love your work. I am 27 and no where near having babies or really care that much about them but I will watch anything you are on talking about babies. Even Dr. Phil (blech).

Plus, can I have your house?!

-eel

22. Daniela
    April 5, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

wow. 30 -40 hours of free time. i need to watch this episode, maybe I’m missing something! even in my spare moments..i’m doing something. Free Time…i’m speechless.

23. Samantha
    April 5, 2010 at 10:22 am #

In reference about your comment about your head being in a guillotine…that was actually my favorite part of the show, I believe you thought it had been cut out, but I distinctly remember hearing you say something about that…

24. April
    April 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

So if I watched the show, that would be considered an hour of leisure time right? I know, it’s also leisure time to comment on this blog, but here’s the difference: I read your blog and others, I blog, and I go on FB because of the connection that I get with other mothers. People who don’t do this don’t get it: I consider these mom-connections a valuable tool in my role as a mother. I’m not just limited to how my friends have handled situations, or rather, my circle of friends has gotten much larger because of the time I spend on the web. I realize this is simply meant to get us riled up, but instead, it just makes me sad that so many people decide the best way to support mothers is to beat us up as much as possible.

25. writtenbymurphy
    April 4, 2010 at 11:55 am #

This post is good and interesting and makes me want to go check out the episode on Dr. Phil.

But the reason I’m writing is because THAT PHOTO OF BUSTER IS SO CUTE! Theresa, please let us see some more of the cuteness. Look at those big cheeks! and he’s busy chewing on Mommy Theresa’s hand…

so cute. I’m very happy for you. I”ll go leave a comment on Dr. Phil’s site now.

26. Gigi
    April 3, 2010 at 10:33 am #

I don’t normally watch Dr. Phil however this was the topic for me! I thought you did a great job. I definitely would have liked to see that wacky husband trade places with his wife– not for a day, just a week.

Oh…. I have to know. I am looking for a baby carrier and when you were at home with your son you seemed to have what looked like the most comfy baby carrier for you and son….. any chance you would share the name brand? (I have a 2 day old and in about 30 days we are going to be out and about with his 2 yr. old brother and I really need something that works for the both of us!)

April 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm #

The baby carrier is the Ergo – super comfortable. You may need the “infant insert” for the little one, but when he gets a few months old, you can chuck the insert and carry him around while letting him suck on the canvas straps. Good times. Way better than the Bjorn for mommy’s back, but that’s just me. Congrats!

27. TKKerouac
    April 3, 2010 at 9:47 am #

to what you said:

“Also, a female comedian, Leanne Morgan is on the show, and she is way funnier and more prepared. This woman is folksy, southern accent, hilarious and also a believably sweet mother of three. Watch just for her. Audience loved her, as well they should. God, she is really good.”

Yes she was good. But you have your gifts too , you found your niche.

Its funny how females seemingly compare their performances to others,particularly women, instead of feeling their own celebrity, and remembering just what their unique gift was that made them stand out!
    Will we ever be less hard on ourselves?

As for a stay at home having more leisure time.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say we do have more leisurely time, but its because we are good at multitasking and figure out ways to make juggling our days work for us with a routine that may allow for some “me time”.

Lets be honest here, there are days where we have our time management down pat, so that the dinner is in the slow cooker, while baby is sleeping or in the “jolly jumper with toys while we are watching “Oprah and Dr.Phil”.

I don’t think our partners, out in the business world can say to their boss, “Its 3:00, excuse me for a couple of hours while I take a nap or watch a couple of my favorite shows”

My point is, because we are in the comfort of our own homes and not in a business atmosphere, there are days, we can grab some downtime moments in between the hustle and bustle of being a “domestic child rearing Goddess.”

Who’s job is harder though?

Now thats a different can of worms to open!

28. TKKerouac
    April 2, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

Great blog and you handled Dr.Phil very well!

29. CG
    April 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

Teresa, you were GREAT on Dr. Phil! The female comedian was lovely, as well, but she was very center-of-the-road, so no wonder everyone in that audience “got” her. You were hilarious and witty and right on the money, even if every word out of your mouth didn’t land exactly as you wanted it to.

30. Mommy C
    April 1, 2010 at 10:59 pm #

Hi there! I don’t watch Dr. Phil, but now I wish I had known you were going to be on because I would have tivo’d it. I think that 30-40 hours of downtime is just laughable…so does my husband (thankfully). I completely agree that nap times = stressful time for me. I gave up trying to “sleep when he sleeps” back when he was 3 weeks old (he is turning 3 months tomorrow) because I would be so exhausted, desperately needing sleep and I would lay down and 5 minutes later he would be awake and I would bring him to bed and cry that now I wouldn’t get to nap. :( I finally decided it was better to push through the day then to try and get my nap in.

Love the blog!! I wish I had more time to listen to your podcast with Adam’s wife. I was able to listen to one during a particularly long nap for my son, but I felt so guilty that I wasn’t “accomplishing anything that I haven’t gone back to listen to more (because I am not using itunes, I can’t pause a podcast or fast forward to where I left off so I have to be able to listen to the whole thing or relisten to pieces that I have previously listened to…ugh!)

Mommy C

31. Laura B
    April 1, 2010 at 10:13 pm #

Loved you on the show! Love your blog even more!!!

My BF watched the show with me and kept looking at me as if to say “Keep watching, my point will be proven!”
    I work part time…in childcare i must add! And its a split shift. My BF keeps saying that because i work part time out of the home and he works full time out of the home that i should work full time in the house and he works part time in the house. He also wants me to be “proud” of keeping a spotless house. Ha!
    His idea of part time work in the house is taking out the trash, cooking dinner once a week and doing the dishes once a week when they pile up and get on his nerves.
    Sure my daughter naps for 2 hours a day and im sure i could accomplish lots during that time…..but i need to nap too. I get up way to early and go to bed way to late to be able to deal with 30+ kids that are between the ages of 4-12, take care of and actually play with my baby, and clean up after him.
    Here is what i think guys dont understand….Sure i could spend my day cleaning, doing laundry, fixing things, cooking, doing dishes..all while my baby stares at the idiot box or amuses herself. But what is she going to learn? How is she suppose to learn verbal skills and proper enunciation (sorry i cant spell) while watching teletubbies? How am I suppose to build a lifelong connection with my child while im scrubbing toilets upstairs?
    He tries to prove to me that it can be done while im out on weekends and he is at home with her. Sure the house is cleaned up but how much time did he actually spend playing with her? Teaching her things? And where did all his “leasuire time” go?

Ok Im going to stop ranting now…just wanted to put in my 2 cents on this study.

32. Alyssa Barnett
    April 1, 2010 at 12:42 am #

Oh puleease…30-40 hrs per week? really?
    Maybe 30-40 MINUTES…yep…
    I use that time to peruse my favorite bloggers.
    Any other “free time” is used for Pre-worrying & prepping for the next fiasco, cleaning up dog poop, baby poop, dirty dishes, and dirty kids.
    Where did this dingo get his info?

xoxo
    alyssa

33. Wendy
    March 31, 2010 at 6:02 pm #

You looked beautiful on Dr. Phil’s show. I miss hearing you, Brian and Adam on the radio, an occasional Ipod is not the same.

34. Amanda
    March 31, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

I heard the guillotine joke, so it wasn’t cut out where I was. That said, um, YES, the “million dollars in quarters” analogy and the guillotine analogy are both very apt. Just when I think for sure Sadie’s going to nap for 90 minutes, she decides on 60 instead. And when I think I’ve got 30 and rush around like a crazy person trying to get everything done, that’s when she goes 2 hours and I wind up tiptoeing around the house and shushing the dogs while waiting for that inevitable yell. THIS IS NOT LEISURE, my friend.

35. Becky
    March 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

I am a huge fan and sooo miss hearing you everyday on the Adam Corolla show. You have a brilliant sense of humor, as was displayed in the “Dr. Phill’ video!!! Buster is the cutest baby ever – I just want to squish his chubby little cheeks. Keep up the great work and please, more video’s exploiting adorable ‘Buster’.

36. Happy Mom of 2
    March 31, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Saw you on the show for a few minutes yesterday and you were great. I came online now to try and find a transcript of what you said about getting paid $1,000 – how it would be like getting paid that much in nickels and having them flung at your head a few at a time. HILARIOUS and sooo true – that is just what motherhood feels like sometimes! Great job on a great show.

37. Karen
    March 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

It was so great seeing you on Dr. Phil yesterday… i didn’t know you had a baby!!! j/k

38. Loni
    March 31, 2010 at 11:14 am #

I saw you on Dr. Phil yesterday and came to your blog afterwards. I love it. It’s well written and funny. A bonus that I can relate to it. While I was on maternity leave last year I’m sure my husband came through the door thinking the same thing as some of those other husbands. What makes him highly intelligent is the fact that not once did he open his mouth and comment about it. I also tend to leave him with the kids on his own for a few hours every now and again and also give him a few tasks to do while I’m out. Just to show him it’s damn hard to get stuff done with little kids around! I left the other afternoon and took my oldest with me and asked him to clean the bathroom for me. When I got home, the bathroom was partially clean and my son had a scrape on his nose from where he slammed the hamper lid shut and it caught him. He told me “It’s impossible to get stuff done when he’s awake!” Don’t I know it! I filed that little gem away for use in the future if needed.

39. Jodi
    March 31, 2010 at 1:03 am #

Teresa, I am totally looking forward to the show! I actually enjoy Dr. Phil especially when he yells and the idiots (there are plenty of stupid people out there)! Some of his guests I don’t always agree with but he is a great man. I have seen you twice on his show and I love you every time =) I am 8 months pregnant with my first and I too am a Navy wife. I have enjoyed your blog more than I can express =)

40. Jamie
    March 31, 2010 at 12:13 am #

I didn’t get to see the entire show, but I did catch the second half. I think the definition of leasure time needs to be addressed, but I can guarentee I don’t get 30 hours worth a week. Even when my oldests are at some sort of practice, I’ve still got the baby so it’s not like I can sit and read a book or talk to other moms. In fact today, I spent the entire hour my oldest was at ballet reading to my middle child or chasing the baby up and down the stairs. Not relaxing at all!

41. jack brinks
    March 30, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

Nice piece. I left a glowing comment for Dr. Phil about ya. Baby needs new vaccines!

42. Mich
    March 30, 2010 at 11:49 pm #

Similarly, sometimes I think my hubs sees the time I spend nursing as “downtime.” Like it’s SO relaxing. Sure I love the bonding with my bub I get out of BFing him, but it’s far from my idea of a day at the spa.

• Mich
      March 30, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

Oops, didn’t see that it posted the first time!

43. Mich
    March 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm #

Similarly, there are times I think my husband sees the time I spend nursing as “downtime.” Because it’s SO relaxing. Sure, I love the bond I have from BFing my bub, but it’s definitely not my idea of a day at the spa.

44. Jenn
    March 30, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

Greetings from Mexico! Just saw you on the show. Even though I’m not a stay at home mom, I can relate. I really wanted to hit that gal’s husband in the head. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful husband who shares housework and cooking with me! The whole leisure issue was just funny. My girl just turned 3 and JUST started potty training today. My leisure time today was trimming my fingernails and writing this; so there u go!
    A year ago I started making cute lunches for my girl and posting them on a blog, http://www.abracabento.blogspot.com which hasn’t been updated since september (though I swear she’s been fed lunch every day!). My art studio hasn’t been touched since Obama became president, and our house is less than “Martha Stewart- friendly”. But we are a happy family.
    So keep up the good work, keep writing, and keep your baby happy!!!!!!!!! : )
    PS.- That sweater the Dr. wore WAS an eyesore. Ugg…

45. Dana
    March 30, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

LOVED the show.
    I changed it to “Save Until I Delete” on my TiVo because I plan to make my husband watch it over and over and over.

46. jig101
    March 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

Saw you just now on Dr. Phil (currently living in Japan on a navy base) I think you were fabulously smart and funny…and totally spot on. I have as much “leisure time” as my husband, but he gets his in 4-5 hour virtually uninterrupted down time after work, while my leisure time comes in bits and pieces, usually while doing more than one thing at a time or waiting, entertaining, driving, educating one of our children. The definition in the original study is flawed… because as a SAHM/self employed/freelance we don’t get paid for our “work” the way a FT working husband does. Anyway, I’ve been doing this parenting thing for 16 years and you seem to be doing a fine job with everything you do . I have enjoyed catching up on your blogs. Your down to earth and humorous approach to everything will serve you well in the future!

47. p
    March 30, 2010 at 8:31 pm #

you are an exceptionally gifted writer. i am a male with no children. yet i find your writing warrants a reading, regardless of the topic. thanks for being good at what you do.

48. Jennifer
    March 30, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

Well put! If sleeping counts as “free time” then I might hit the 30 hour mark per week… But with the monitor inches from my head all night, I;m not even sure that counts. And Buster is such an adorable little man!!! I’m a new mom myself and my son is a just few weeks older so I always love reading your blog because I’m usually right there with you!

49. Jamie
    March 30, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

Wow, you said it so well. I try to explain to my husband about “free time” during the day and how it doesn’t really equate to relaxing or even productive free time but I’ve never been able to do it as eloquently as you have. When does the show air? I hope not today, because they switched the times of shows around here in Seattle and I have no clue now when Dr. Phil is on.

50. Carrie
    March 30, 2010 at 7:31 pm #

Amen about the nap time. I now have two little ones (2 1/2 and 10 months old) and so the problem is compounded.

And any (very small amount) of free time I might have is time I have earned by doing 4 things at once some other time. If my toddler is in the bath I’m right next to the bath, but also simultaneously cleaning the toilet, organizing the medicine cabinet, plucking my eyebrows and mentally planning the next day. Oh and dinner is in the oven cooking. When my (very hardworking) husband gives the toddler a bath, he just sits there.

Look forward to seeing you on the show.

• Julianne Gorman
      April 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Carrie! You are genius. I never thought about cleaning the toilet while E is in the tub!