The Nine Worst Moms in History

streep

"Motherhood sucks. I gotta get out of here."

I wake up every night with esophagus-searing heartburn and the sensation that I’m suffocating. I cry, smearing the mascara I was too lazy to remove on my pregnancy pillow. My husband tells me it will be okay, which he can now do without even waking up.

I take a bath, eat a peach, listen to Fresh Air podcasts, read a chapter of my Neil Diamond book, and try to fall back asleep, all the while moaning and grunting like Ed Asner at Jazzercise. None of this is a big deal in the grand scheme of pregnancy issues, but would it be okay if I just sat back and crapped on other people for a while to make myself feel better?

Look, I am not a mom yet. I am nervous Buster isn’t going to get the best mom in the world, because I’ve never been baby crazy or even changed a diaper. This list makes me feel better, because in many ways, these ladies lowered the mom bar. Let me know if I missed anyone.

The Nine Worst Moms in History

1. Joanna Kramer: This mother, played by Meryl Streep in the 1979 film, “Kramer vs. Kramer,” represented all that was wrong with ‘70s moms. Meryl ­– icy, selfish and put-upon – bails on her family, only to return a year and a half later to take back her son and screw up the life he’s finally put together with his pops, played by Dustin Hoffman. When she’s done scarring her kid and taking her “me” time, possibly doing some self-actualized macramé, she waltzes in and sparks a big, ugly custody battle. She wins little Billy back, but in the end, decides to ditch the kid for a second time. The whole ordeal is so emotionally grueling for Billy, he gets an Oscar nod, and remains the youngest actor to ever be nominated.

There were so many Meryl moms when I was growing up in San Francisco; they got tricked into motherhood by the ‘60s and didn’t dig it. They spent their food money on babysitters just to get away from the kids who were sucking the lives out of them.

Joanna Kramer was the quintessential Bad ‘70s Mom, with her tailored trench coat, chunky leather boots, perfectly fitted blouses, neck scarves and patrician cheekbones, she made ditching your child so glamorous, it made you wonder why any sap would stick around.

2. Medea: This one is a gimme. Or more of a takey. Takey your own kids’ lives.

You gotta go mythological for a mother this venal. Here’s the story: Medea and her man, Jason, are doing just fine, until he gets an offer to marry a royal princess and bails on Medea and their two sons. In Euripides’ famous play based on the Greek myth, Medea, is so pissed off at Jason for leaving her she pretends to forgive him and sends his new bride some poison-laced robes, which kill her instantly. This is pretty satisfying, but to really stick it to her ex, she decides the only thing to do is kill her sons, not because they’ve done anything wrong, but because this revenge thing really needs a kicker. In the play, Medea leaves the stage with a knife and we hear the boys screaming. Granted, it sucks to be left for a princess, especially after doing so much for a guy, but killing your kids means you will always make this list.  And as a bonus, when someone like Susan Smith kills her kids, your name is going to come up until the end of time.

3. hennerMarilu Henner: I feel a bit harsh putting this beloved actress on the list of worst moms. I mean, all she did was write the parenting book, “I Refuse to Raise a Brat” and plaster her two sons, Nicholas and Joseph, on the cover. I loved her on “Taxi,” however, I would hate to have my mother’s literary career and overall cred depend on my ability to keep my shit together at the grocery store, at recess, at day care and everywhere prying eyes were looking for signs that I was, in fact, a brat.

According to the book’s publishers, motherhood is Marilu’s most important role, and she can tell you how to handle “temper tantrums, bedtime issues, sibling rivalry, lying, and much more.”

Geez, Marilu, why don’t you set the kids up for failure? How will they ever be perfect enough to literally be the poster children for poster children? As if that’s not enough pressure, Marilu penned “Healthy Kids,” in which she explains how to get your kids to exercise and gives “scores of tips on transitioning from dead food to live food.” Isn’t eating “dead food” from time to time what being a kid is all about? Now these boys can’t be chubby or bratty, ever. I know mommy needs to sell some books, but she didn’t have to feature her actual kids on the covers, ensuring them nonstop scrutiny. Then again, as Marilu writes, “Children must learn that they can’t always get their way.”

judds024. Naomi Judd: It’s not her fault, but no matter how old she gets, Naomi Judd is hotter than her daughters. Not even a bad case of Hep C could diminish her timeless beauty. Naomi outshines even Ashley, who is kind of a movie star, with impossibly satisfying bone structure. Still, not as lovely as mom. I file Naomi Judd with Demi Moore under “painfully pretty moms,” who can’t help but cast a big beautiful shadow over their daughters. And as we all know from Bette Midler, shadows are cold, a cold dank place to catch an eating disorder, spend hours in the mirror studying your pores, and generally go through life feeling “less than” and plain. Both of the Judd daughters are hugely successful, which should preclude Naomi from making this list. On the other hand, for all their talent, they always seem pretty bummed out, and tend to check themselves into mysterious hospitals with vague diagnoses like “isolation” and “food addiction.”

5. Terrie Petrie: You may remember her from Dr. Baden’s HBO documentary series “Autopsy.” This befuddled Canadian woman wrote to Dr. Baden for help. First, her eight-day old daughter died of SIDS, and later her three-month old twins also died of SIDS. Only, they didn’t, according to Dr. Baden. After a long investigation, the forensic pathologist concluded that Terrie, who was sleeping with her twins after going out for a few cocktails, managed to roll over on both children and smother them to death. Terrie was bummed when she got the “cause of death” news, because she was kind of crossing her fingers for “genetic abnormality.”

Now you may be thinking, how does this lady make the worst mom list, beating out the likes of serial killer Marybeth Tinning, who lost nine infants in 13 years, and seems to have killed eight of them? Well, Marybeth was a flat out psychopath and cold-blooded killer. Terrie was just a really, really bad mother who had every right to get loaded, but maybe should have considered a crib that night.

Herein lies a semantic distinction: these are examples of horrifyingly bad mommying, rather than a collection of world-class bad people. Terrie has distinguished herself by rising to new heights of neglect. Neglect is probably the thing that the really great bad moms all have in common. Say what you will about Marybeth Tinning, but she was clearly on some kind of mission. For Terrie, killing babies was an oversight, for Marybeth it was a hobby.

spider6. Mrs. Wolf Spider: I had to go into the animal kingdom for mothering like this. A bad mother might not make her children lunch, but a worse mother might actually make her children lunch. What I mean is, a mama wolf spider is generally large and harmless, unless you happen to be her baby wolf spider. Once born, the babies congregate on their mother’s stomach, ready to be fed. In some cases, however, they wind up being the mother’s next meal instead. It’s one thing if your mother just never “got” you, or resented you, or spent all of her time with your asshole stepfather, but it’s another thing if she decided you were more delicious than adorable. Whatever mistakes I make, it’s very comforting that I can’t be a worse mother than a wolf spider.

kate goss7. Kate Gosselin: Forget the usual stuff people hate about Kate, the bossy attitude, the haircut, or the superb exploitation of her brood. None of that lands her on this list. For me, it’s the eight little plates of hummus and sliced apples, the matching outfits, the annoying attention to maternal detail. I know one needs to be organized with that many kids, but Kate just overmoms it. While most of the worst moms in history got there by undermomming it, Kate represents all of the overmoms who not only smother their kids and make them self-absorbed entitled jerks, but also make the rest of the moms feel bad. Overmoms take seven childbirth classes while pregnant, grimly interview a slew of pediatricians, become experts on car seats and the merits of co-sleeping, start a home business selling organic baby food and generally tackle motherhood with all of the spontaneity and unfettered joy of a prison chaplain.

8. Dr. Ruth: America desperately needed Dr. Ruth. We needed her to answer questions about all the sexual nitty gritty. And Dr. Ruth is a hero, a tiny woman who became a big sharp shooter in the Israeli Army, a self-made career woman and survivor who lost her parents in Nazi Germany. I just don’t know if I want my mom writing a column for Playgirl, or bluntly answering people’s questions about G-spots, multiple orgasms, masturbation, premature ejaculation, proper condom usage, menstruation or the dangers of rough anal sex. In a word: eeeewwww. I love that Dr. Ruth exists, but to be the child of the woman whose name is synonymous with frank sex talk must be kind of rough, not as rough as the anal sex she says can be risky, but rough.

joan crawford9. Joan Crawford: “No more wire hangers,” is as famous an awful mom line as there is, representing one of the worst maternal tirades captured on film. Whether or not “Mommie Dearest” is totally factual, or just the way Joan’s daughter, Christina, recalls her childhood, doesn’t matter now, because Joan is the subject of a kitsch classic and seems to have distinguished herself in a very bad way. Faye Dunaway, who brought Joan Crawford to campy life, claims the role ruined her career. The eyebrows, the wire hangers, the violent, competitive, image-obsession, the succession of boyfriends Christina had to call “uncle” and the daughter-annihilating scenery chewing meltdowns forever cement Joan Crawford in the collective consciousness as one of history’s worst mothers.

52 Responses to “The Nine Worst Moms in History”

1. Dominick Yarnall
    January 15, 2011 at 3:36 am #

Happy to find this post. Its a very useful post on behalf of me, because it contains lot of data. I invariably favor to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post.

2. Mike
    September 6, 2009 at 2:22 pm #

Interesting take here, but having been an avid Carolla listener I’m very, very surprised that your mother did not make the list. Given that she blazed a trail in California custody cases, how could she not? I can only imagine how she will react to your little one. I wish you well and I’m sure you’ll be a great mom in spite of that role model.

September 7, 2009 at 10:50 am #

I didn’t want to give her preferential treatment just because she’s my mom. Still, you make a good point. She was a trailblazing bad mom in being one of the first in LA County to lose custody. Maybe when I come up with the 20 Worst.
      t

3. Matthew
    September 3, 2009 at 12:08 am #

I’d say for TV moms, throw Lucille Ball in there as top bad moms. They had a baby for a few seasons right? Little Ricky? We only saw that kid like 3 times, the rest of the time they had him locked away in the room. Freakin child abuse man…

4. Janine
    September 2, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

T – I love hearing you on AC. How is Bryan doing? He hasn’t been mentioned lately. I’m just wondering, and I know it is extremely rude to ask, how old you are. I am nearing 40 and am struggling with the decision of whether to have another child. I currently have the most awesome 6 year old girl, but that clock is ticking, nay, banging. Is 40 too old??? Is 6 years apart too many? I can’t decide! I don’t expect you to answer. I’m merely sounding off.

September 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm #

I so don’t think 40 is too old. And six years apart seems perfect. For what it’s worth.
      Let me know if you get knocked up!
      T

• Janine
        September 5, 2009 at 12:18 pm #

You are so sweet to respond. Just got el’ periodo yesterday… Another month down the drain, so to speak.

It’s really interesting how we women spend so many years of our lives doing everything possible to NOT get knocked up. Then, when we want to get knocked up, it takes forever. WTF is up with that?

Good luck with your delivery! A little unsolicited advice: get the epidural. You will still be a great mom, trust me.

5. Cory
    August 27, 2009 at 3:13 pm #

They need to do way instain mother who kill thier babbys. becuse these babby cant frigth back?
    it was on the news this mroing a mother in ar who had kill her three kids . they are taking the three babby back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots

6. stephie
    August 22, 2009 at 3:00 pm #

What about Octomom? Come on. She should be #1!
    You will make a great mom, T. You already are! I waited till a “bit later in life”, and think it made me a better mom. So happy for you!

7. Dave
    August 21, 2009 at 1:27 am #

I want to nominate all the mothers who bring there children to Burning Man. WTF?

P.S. The man burns in 16 days!

8. Jiles
    August 14, 2009 at 11:52 pm #

Are you going to add yourself to that list after you have your baby and go back to your pill popping ways?

Sorry I didn’t kiss your ass like everyone else on here.

• Cory
      August 27, 2009 at 3:09 pm #

There’s not ass kissing, then there’s being a jerk.

• lee
        September 15, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

no doubt! total jerk, i like the passive aggressive “sorry” after that too

9. Yvonne
    August 12, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Another great entry! I too am pregnant with my first and am guessing I am due around the same time as you – October 15?), so I love checking in to see what’s new on your end. I’m there with you on the pregnancy pillow issue (the pictures are sooo misleading – there is no comfortable way to lay), the emotional breakdowns (I might record my next one), and the worries about being a good mom.
    Thanks for this blog! If you turn these into a book, I will pre-order!
    Congratulations and Best Wishes!

10. Gillian
    August 11, 2009 at 1:15 pm #

you gotta lay off the peaches. the citric acid makes heartburn way worse. I discovered this after downing 3 doses of emergenC (those little packets you dissolve in water). worst. heartburn. ever. I thought I was dying. my teeth hurt. don’t worry. it gets better. I have a 3 week old now and no heartburn!

August 11, 2009 at 3:18 pm #

Oh no. I’ve been sucking down those Emergen-C packets a couple times a week. I didn’t make the connection. Thanks for the heads-up and congratulations on your baby.
      T

11. Liz in Virginia
    August 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm #

Love this entry — my friends and I have competed for “Bad Mother of the Year” for many years now (I brag as I tell you that I usually win). My best entry was the time I shoved my infant daughter (we were still counting her age in weeks) off the bed (love the “family bed”) in the middle of the night because I thought she was the dog. She’ll be telling Oprah about that one any day now.

You’re right — you just have to give in to the fact that you will make mistakes, and rejoice that you will never be Susan Smith.

NOTE: In the Bad Mother of the Year contest please note that you get extra points for demonstrating your flaws in public. A friend jumped ahead in the competition when she accidently dumped her kid out of an infant car seat — in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

12. Alex
    August 10, 2009 at 2:45 pm #

What about Martha Alice “Mattie” Hageman or Caterine Pelzer??
    Martha Hageman abused her daughter Shirley Ardell Mason (usually known as Sybil Dorsett) both physically and sexually, she put water up Shirley’s vagina and made her hold while she was tied to the leg of the piano, she put button hooks, flashlights, bottles and counyless other items up her vagina, Martha Hageman broke her daughters shoulder, and locked her a wheat bin. Shirley Ardell Mason was scard both physcally and meantaly, she ended up having multyple personalitys and could never have children.

Caterine Pelzer made her son Dave eat a diaper filled woth crap. She also starved him, hit him, stabbed him and threatened to put his face to a burning stove. She put her song in a small room filled with chemicals untill he passed out, she made him lay in a bathtub filled with freezing cold water, he never got knew clothes and was rarley fed.

These to mothers are better examples of terrible mothers that a spider or a fictionus charactor.

• Jennifer
      July 15, 2010 at 11:22 am #

I agree and was thinking of those very exact examples while reading her post.About # 5 worst mother i was hoping in all the BS celeb cases she added in there would be “A boy called it” and “Sybil’s” mother!!After all Dave’s case was one of the worst child abuse case reported still today.I have waisted my time reading this garbage she has written about mothers who are far from the worst!A little more research on the authors part would have been smart I feel the author is not funny by her add ins of Namoi Judd or the book writer who published a book about well behaved kids and put their picture on the cover.Dr Ruth does have kids they are grown with kids of their own and are proud of their mother!!!The Author who wrote this gives good moms a bad name!Shame on Her!!

• JESSIKA
      July 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I completly agree with you i read all three books about david pelzer and im reading sybil right now. I do not understand how a mother could harm there child in any way that those mothers have.

13. Joe
    August 7, 2009 at 7:11 pm #

Great post as always – also love you on the Acecast. What Neil Diamond book are you reading?

14. Garrett Moffitt
    August 7, 2009 at 5:18 pm #

I think Jenny McCarthy belongs at the top of the list, not only is she a bad mom, she lies to other moms to make them a bad mom.

15. Keith
    August 7, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

Good stuff. I’m about to be a father, any day now. The topic of your next blog, and perhaps Adam’s podcast should be circumcision. It would be funny and insightful, as always.

16. Wade
    August 7, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

Great article. I think the simple fact that you worry about being a good mother is going to make you a good mother. If you didn’t care then that would be a warning sign. I have two boys (3 years and 6 months) and I worry every day that I’m raising them right and they will be good kids. I get tired, I get stressed and sometimes I want to just be left alone. That’s normal, in my opinion. At the end of the day I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s a wonderful thing to sit on the couch with your boys, drinking chocolate milk, watching the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon and explaining who the Green Goblin is. Boys are wonderful and you will have blast with Buster.

17. jean
    August 6, 2009 at 11:48 pm #

Great article Teresa!

My bipolar mother actually loved the movie Mommy Dearest. She to this day refers to herself as my ‘mommy dearest’ and that is what she asked to be called when i was younger.

Some people just don’t get things I guess.

18. ChipSlap
    August 6, 2009 at 5:36 pm #

I nominate Hetty Green for worst mother. She was a Wall Street powerhouse a century ago. According to Guinness, she was the most miserly person of all time. I quote from Wikipedia:
    “Her frugality extended to family life. Her son Ned broke his leg as a child, and Hetty tried to have him admitted in a hospital charity ward. When she was recognized, she stormed away vowing to treat the wounds herself. The leg contracted gangrene and had to be amputated – he ended up with a cork prosthesis.”

When she died in 1916, her fortune was estimated at between $100 – 200 million…..1916 dollars.

19. M.T
    August 6, 2009 at 1:43 pm #

What about Mako Barrymore! partying and doing coke with your 13 year old doesn’t seem to be “good parenting”. take comfort, mako made an artform of bad mothering. you won’t.

• Karen
      August 18, 2009 at 12:08 am #

Correction: her name was Jaid Barrymore.

20. Kristen
    August 6, 2009 at 1:33 pm #

Love your blog. The worst mothers post was funny. I thought you left out a really important detail in Naomi Judd’s profile-not telling your kid who their real daddy is. That has to be a knock against her!

21. New-ish Mom
    August 6, 2009 at 5:43 am #

Those are some bad moms! You, on the other hand, will be fine! It’s women who assume they will be perfect moms who scare the heck out of me.

I had my first baby in November (at age 37) and yes, you do fall in love the first day. However, that doesn’t mean it is always easy. It’s tough in the beginning. It’s okay to mourn losing the life you had before (sleeping, eating dinner in a bar when the restaurant is crowded, taking regular showers, not smelling like baby vomit). I even wondered “why did we do this?” a time or two. But, like a lot of things, it does get easier. You realize that you aren’t going to break your baby when you squeeze a tiny t-shirt over their head. You realize your husband might not know where you keep the ketchup (WTH), but he’s a great dad. You realize that you love this little peanut more than you really thought was possible.

Those first few weeks/months felt so long and I wondered if it would ever become easier. There were times I cried right along with our little man (the hormones are really something in the beginning). I reminded my husband of that tonight while we were playing with our crawling, giggling, happy 8 month old baby.

Hang in there, find a friend who’s been there recently (not a perfect mom, but one who’s willing to share her worst mom moment with you) and accept that you aren’t going to be the world’s best mom. You will, however, be the best mom for your son. Good luck!

22. Al Pascual
    August 6, 2009 at 1:17 am #

Where is the section to add the name of my own mother? ;-)
    Cheers
    Al

• Karen
      August 18, 2009 at 12:08 am #

And mother in LAWS? :)

23. Jan
    August 3, 2009 at 4:33 pm #

Hi T!

I wish my mother was famous. She would most DEFINITELY make the list. Now, as I embark on this wonderful journey of motherhood (at 38 years of age), I am constantly reminded why I will be a much better mother than she ever was. I am loaded with enough information, and surrounded by loving friends who came from awesome families I truly envy.

So, while I may not have been around them all my life, they have become a very influential part of it. These are the families my children will come to know.

Keep up the HILARITY!!!!!

24. Leslie
    August 3, 2009 at 4:09 pm #

Teresa-

I have been a fan of yours since the While You Were Out days. The Adam Carolla Show came to life when you became a bigger part of it. You are an inspiration to me as navigate through becoming a “real” writer. I think your baby is lucky to have you as a mom.

Motherhood is the scariest damn job in the world. Everyone’s development was interrupted or broken by their family; even the kids with great parents could use a little therapy. You will be an amazing mother most of the time and a crappy one party of the time. Everyone has their limit. Even those irritating moms who appear to have all together and love every single sound, smell or fluid that emerges from their precious baby still cry occasionally and think, “why the hell did I have a child?” I guarantee that the times you want to love and care for your child will out weigh the times you want to give him to the next person that passes by. All you can do is do what you do best; speak honestly about what you are experiencing and take it day by day.

My own experience as a mother strated out rather rocky. My son was 6 weeks premature and my postpartum lasted the better part of a year. It was an excruciating time and yet it was also filled with the most joy I have ever known. And it just gets better. Remember, it’s our job to screw our kids up a little, that’s how they’ll bond with their friends and find a mate to heal with.

Everyone’s advice is just recycled experience. The best thing to do is what ever feels right for you and your baby. Best of luck to you and your husband.
    -Leslie

August 3, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

The really sad pathetic part of this topic is that there are so many worthy candidates for the list – and that’s if we forcefully exclude anyone we might share DNA with. The wonderful thing about focusing on the miserable minion of motherhood. Because truthfully there are more practical lessons that can be learned from them than from the June Cleavers’ and Donna Reeds of the world. Honestly – are we really going to don pearls and pumps in the kitchen while preparing our hubbys a frost cocktail for his entrance back in the Casa ?? I think probably not – but we CAN learn that boozing it and co-sleeping has disasterous results (potentially) see ?? free lesson.

My mother wasn’t a Betty Crocker Mom – but what I learned from her turned out to be crucial when my kids entered the dreaded “teen zone”. I learned that you cannot micro-manage every second of your childs life and then suddenly and without warning cut them loose at 18 or 21 and expect them to make practical and appropriate decisions. The need to make some “free mistakes” while your still there to fish them out of their embarassing dllema. My mother was a weird mix of 70′s ice mother and bohemian peacenik. She often resorted to Astrology and Tarot to come up with a good reason not to kill us in our sleep – but the result was a daughter who, by her own daughters assessment is the “chill-est”. My daughter is APPALLED AND shocked that half her friends, don’t know how to do laundry, cook a decent meal or balance their checkbook… Katie was pretty good at putting grilled cheese and a vegetable on the table for her and her little sister from the sixth grade on (latch key kids rule !!). I worried that I was working to put a roof over their heads – but it turns out that its the thing that gave them the most confidence and self respect. So I look at the hideous Mom’s through the ages and say “thanks for the lessons”. You mentioned the wolf spider – a better animal example would be the Tiger mother after raising her cubs to the point that they can hunt, she then attacks them and force them to go find their own jungle – which is a good strategy when human offspring get to the teen years – go be a tiger in your own jungle LOL.

26. David
    August 3, 2009 at 1:19 am #

Shouldn’t the mom in Texas who recently ate her baby make an appearance on your list? Just sayin’. Although I agree Marilu Henner is almost as evil.

27. G
    August 2, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

You forgot when Christina had to mix her mom’s martinis. Hilarious blog!

28. David
    August 2, 2009 at 9:58 am #

I never was a fan of the Judds. But like you, I did notice how hot Naomi always was. I can’t understand how Wynona could get up on stage, with her really beautiful mother. Maybe that’s why she drinks.

29. Ramie
    August 1, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

Love you! Keep writing, I love all of your blog entries!!!

30. The Caleb
    August 1, 2009 at 8:26 pm #

You forgot. He’s one Bad Mutha…

31. Maggie
    August 1, 2009 at 1:51 am #

You got them all right. I myself am a mom and I always find me asking myself if I’m a good mom or not. I try to be in the middle not like Kate Gosselin and not like other mothers that ignore their child(ren). It’s hard to know where or how to be as a parent. I just try to roll with the punches and do my best. I must say that you are a great writer and I can see you becoming an author one day. I love reading what you write.

32. T
    July 31, 2009 at 11:45 pm #

Dr. Ruth is so cute and earnest in her sex talk. I think a better (or worse, if you will) example is Betty Dodson. She’s a sex advice columnist but she talks with the most off-putting curses that make you feel kinda dirty but not in the good way. Don’t watch her on video, just read her books.

33. Matt
    July 31, 2009 at 10:02 pm #

TS: Great article. On another note, I just listened to your latest appearance on the Adam Carolla podcast–great as usual. I was, however, hoping that you’d ask Chris Anderson for his response to Malcom Gladwell’s New Yorker review of his book wherein Gladwell took serious issue with Anderson’s theory of “free stuff” and seemed to credibly destroy the theory. Not that you have time to read every article in the New Yorker; I just saw the pitch coming right over the middle of the plate and thought you might hit it right out of the park (like you usually do). (Sorry for attaching this note to this article–I didn’t know how else to message you.) -Matt

Have a great time with the remainder of your pregnancy and with your new baby boy! Parenting is a blast.

34. brooke
    July 31, 2009 at 8:41 pm #

brilliant

35. johnhoens
    July 31, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

Even suffering through pregnancy you have the time to write great blog! I enjoy reading your work.

jmh

36. kara
    July 31, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

Hey are there any pregnancy books you would recommend? I have hated everything I have come across so far. You should post about it!

August 3, 2009 at 6:51 am #

Kara -
      I am working on a longer piece about this, but in the meantime, I had to spread the word.
      I’m going to drop a very heavy name on you: Tori Spelling. That’s right. I was interviewing Tori and as she was leaving, she recommended the book “The Fearless Pregnancy.” I wish I had been reading it all along – basically, a doctor and midwife tell you why everything you’re worried about is probably not going to happen. The book takes a liberal stance on hair color and other things that are probably fine. I bought mine used for a few bucks on Amazon and read it an hour or two.

• Katherine
        August 6, 2009 at 5:25 pm #

Interesting… Nice of her to share… I have to ask. What is your vibe on Tori? I ping pong back and forth.

37. Gabe Newman
    July 31, 2009 at 7:36 pm #

May Mother Teresa… a part Asian, Jew… never make this list.

38. Kia
    July 31, 2009 at 7:14 pm #

I never thought about Dr. Ruth, but you have a good point, and made me laugh too. You will not only NOT be on anyone’s 9 Worst Mothers list, but you may end up on many of our 9 Best Mothers lists not only because of your honesty and integrity, but because you really think about how what you say and do will affect little Buster down the road. You are a wonderful example of a strong woman, and the world needs more of that. Thanks, and keep it up!

Oh, and I would like to submit OctoMom for this list as well.

39. Marja
    July 31, 2009 at 6:40 pm #

1. You are quite a writer.
    2. I have read all of these entries.
    3. My husband says you have a book deal. I hope that includes bundling these gems into a nice, thick hardback.
    4. Because I’m about 4 years away from starting a family, and I know I’m going to need your empathy then.
    5. Please tell me you are going to name the little guy Buster.
    6. Buster Edward Wachinski.
    7. Cheers and good luck!

• Eric
      August 3, 2009 at 11:18 pm #

I think James Edward Wachinski would be more appropriate, he can have Buster as a left-field nickname.