Name Napping is So Wrong, But I Got Nothin’

<Major Strasser is a Major Nazi>

Major Strasser is a Major Nazi

I know from that stupidly catchy viral “Pregnant Women are Smug” song that pregnant women don’t usually share the names they’ve chosen for their babies.

That may be a smug choice, sure, but I think I get it now. You let the name cat out of the bag, and everyone judges the cat, they swing the cat around by the tail, they project their own issues onto the cat and now you want to put the whole incident in your emotional litter box and bury it so you can still like the cat as much as you used to.

And of course there is the danger of getting name napped. My friends just had a baby boy and named it Laszlo, and I am madly in love with that name. It’s Hungarian, as am I. Victor Laszlo is a character in the movie “Casablanca,” and my surname is also featured in that film. Who doesn’t remember the line, “Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects?” Okay, that Strasser dude was a Nazi, but I still enjoy the classic movie name tie-in, and when you’re looking for magical name signs, anything seems to scream, “This is the one.”

Still, you don’t nap a name.

So we had to let Laszlo go, like Bogey did. And now I have four more months to come up with something.

The first dozen people we told we were thinking of the name “James” were dazzled. “It’s classy and simple,” they said, “It’s not like one of these new fangled Jayden, Aiden, Caden names,” they added. So James shot to the top of the list, but if you tell enough people, someone is going to hate on your name, which is what happened when a former colleague told me that anyone named James would become Jim, and there was nothing I could do about it. Jim. Jims are nice people, they coach girls’ soccer without inappropriately touching anyone, they do your taxes without massaging the numbers too much, they walk your dog when you have to leave town suddenly. I like Jims. I just don’t want one.

The “Jim hater” loved our only other name option so far: Shane.

This here is Shane.

This here is Shane.

After we got pregnant, we happened to go to the cell phone store and the guy who helped us had a shiny blue nametag with that moniker. And it seemed right with my husband’s crazy long, consonant rich Polish name. Shane would ride into kindergarten like a Polish cowboy. And all Shanes are hot. But so are Gabes. And Nates. And most Erics.

Once you rule out any names of ex-boyfriends, or names you would be napping from your immediate circle, or names recently used by celebrity moms or names you associate with high school bullies or former evil bosses, the well runs a bit dry. Trust me, when it comes to girl names, the well of adorably androgynous designations bubbles over, but this boy thing is tough.

I’ve been thinking that most parents have a few names in the running before choosing the one. What happens to those perfectly good runner-up names? Can I have them? If you loved your second choice but didn’t use it and feel it shouldn’t go to waste, or if you thought of it only after you screwed your kid with an average name, help a mom-to-be out with a name-me-down you no longer need.

117 Responses to “Name Napping is So Wrong, But I Got Nothin’”

1. Marcia
    September 16, 2009 at 6:08 pm #

Even if your friend napped Laszlo…you should still go with it if you love it…will you even know your friend later in life? Choose the name you love. If you go with James don’t worry about him being called Jim…he will only be called Jim if you call him that or if he likes it. I have a brother-in-law James and no one calls him Jim. I just found out last week that I am having a boy and we are considering naming him after his daddy and grandpa….Jack Dietterich…he will be the third…but then I see all of these murders and kidnappers that are “III.” This scares me a bit…so, we are also considering other names. Names I like include: Marshall & Montgomery. Since the hubby doesn’t like them we won’t be using them, but you can if you like them. If I were you I would go with Laszlo since you love it….you may not even be friends with your name napper in a few years…keep that in mind. Good luck!

2. sally
    August 28, 2009 at 10:28 pm #

I love “Enzo.” It’s our oldest’s middle name, and now I wish we had gone with it being the first name. You are welcome to nap it if you so wish (Laszlo reminded me of it a little bit.)

Congrats and I love the blog!

3. steve
    August 26, 2009 at 3:22 am #

Congrats Teresa!
    Just had a baby boy on August 5th. Greatest thing we’ve ever done. WE (my wife and me) love you and wish you only the best. You look beautiful, BTW ( thats wife talking as well)
    We named our boy Kanoa…its Hawaiian…means the free one.
    feel free to use it. i know, its not very Jewish, but what the hell???!!!
    good luck. and my wife says…
    GET THE EPIDURAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Elina Coulter
    August 11, 2009 at 12:21 pm #

Oh, ouch! We named our son (born 1/31/08) Laszlo. I knew it was too good to assume nobody else would think of it. Dang.

5. Lisa S
    July 25, 2009 at 10:10 pm #

Our 18 year old sons name is Brett and he likes it. Not common, short to go with your long last name. Ours is as well and girls like it.

Good luck and enjoy that precious guy.

Lisa

6. Megan B.
    July 15, 2009 at 10:16 am #

I am just a couple of weeks behind you and we are thinking our little man will either be Elliott or Henry (Hank).
    Some other names that we’ve considered are:

Reid (my husband loves it, me not so much)
    Atticus
    Beckett (call him Beck)
    Justin (all the justins i know are cuties)
    Oliver
    Cooper
    Arlo (if we go with Elliott, we like Arlo for a middle name)

Good luck! There is so much pressure to choose the right name. After all, the kid is going to be stuck with it his entire existance. I always feel that if I choose wrong it will change the course of the kids life. ugh. not an easy mission.

I also love Benjamin but it’s pretty blah i suppose.

7. Jenn Lynn
    July 5, 2009 at 11:35 pm #

I named my son Seth, but Owen was a close second. We would have gone with Owen Carter. It’s funny to read your post because I had a much difficult time picking a girl name. We didn’t decide unroll I was a couple of hours into labor.

8. Sam
    June 23, 2009 at 2:15 am #

I firmly believe in looking at what a name means. Our first is named William (we call him Liam though…the Scottish pet name for William) and it means protector/guardian. He was only 6 when he told me he had to play super hero at recess so he could take care of the other kids in the school in case they got hurt.

Maybe start looking for name meanings that you like…strength, love, whatever. Just don’t be one of those people who essentially name their child a name that means “smart as a sheep” or “blonde one” when they will absolutely have no chance of having blonde hair.

Also look through family names, it just keeps family history alive and can give the name that much more meaning to him…so long as you don’t name him after dreadful uncle Alfred that no one could stand because he farted all the time and told rude jokes. I really think that using a family name (even a quite old one…we’ve used a great-grandpa’s name), especially if it is someone you admire is a good way to go too.

We didn’t name our second till they were trying to kick us out of the hospital. Keenan is our unused name that we almost named him…means “little ancient one”. We waited till we “met” him though, and he’s anything but an old soul so we are glad we didn’t use the name. =)

9. Johnny Demise
    June 22, 2009 at 1:52 am #

You should tell Adam that you’re going to name the little guy Bryan Adams! HAHAHA, Of course to honor and bump him a little bit.

10. Jennifer
    June 17, 2009 at 12:49 am #

I have three girls and finally had a baby boy a year ago. My children,husband and myself have names that start with the letter J. We named him Jayden Dylan and call him “JD”. I always get compliments on his name. Other names we had in mind were Julian and Jordan.

• Susan
      July 1, 2009 at 2:02 pm #

Please dear god don’t do this. There is nothing worse than the family of J names.

• Marcia
        September 16, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

My hubby’s whole family is all J names…what is up with that? I guess there are more J names….all of his mom’s sisters and his dad and all of his brothers….they even named a boy “Jorge,” but pronounce it George…so when he grew up he changed it to George.

11. Moishe Kapoyr
    June 15, 2009 at 6:47 am #

Being a Strasser, I thought you’d be a Yekke.

I liked the “JD” direction (podcast) you were going in… very solid choice.

12. Meg
    June 12, 2009 at 1:18 am #

For the last 8 weeks of my last pregnancy my husband and I had a new boys name picked out every week. We didn’t know what we were having but we were solid on a girls name (Addison Quinn). We toyed with the classics: Matt, Jack, Ryan, and Ben. We tried the edgier Ryder and Haven but could never commit to something more than a few days. We finally decided we’d just go with the ‘Name of the Week’ when he was born. Thanks to the hottie Twilight actor Kellan Lutz photographed in People a few days before my delivery, Kellen Quinn was the ‘name of the week’ when our new guy made his debut!

• Erica
      June 13, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

Teresa, I am so excited for you. I too was nervous about having a boy. But my son is now 10 months old and would eventually love another son. My son’s name is Tytan Jon, I was a teacher for several years so most names have a bad memory for me. We call him Ty. My husband is TJ so we used his name as a formula for our son. Best of luck to you!

13. Clay
    June 11, 2009 at 12:48 pm #

How about Trace or Brandon?

• Dave
      June 11, 2009 at 3:05 pm #

I always liked the name Cage

14. Catherine
    June 8, 2009 at 9:35 pm #

The Jim fear shows the generational gap. I don’t know any Jims younger than 40, every other James I’ve ever met has gone by “James” or “Jamie” so I think you should put James back on the table. I think Jim and Jimmy came from families back in the day when everyone was named after an older family member, so you’d end up with seven men named James and you had to differentiate.

To sum up, my vote: JAMES

15. Deann
    June 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm #

Someone once told me that you should give your kid a name that looks good on a business card. Heather and Tiffany are not good business card names, and the last thing you want to do as a parent is handicap them with a goofy or silly-sounding name right off the bat. Jacob and Timmy are cute names, not the names of men that run Fortune 500 companies.

Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Donald Trump. If we’ve got to work with Wachinski, give him a powerful name to compliment that. Shane Wachinski sounds sweet and wimpy. William Wachinski owns the company. Jackson Wachinski is the CEO. Jimmy Wachinski get beaten up on the playground. Henry Wachinski is on the board of directors.

Give your son strength is his name. Every cute little boy will need to be a man someday. Like Daniel.

16. Morgan
    June 7, 2009 at 10:39 pm #

I sometimes go on nymbler.com for baby names. Give it a try!

And…congratulations! I teared up when I finally downloaded the podcast and heard you were pregnant!

17. Mike Maynard
    June 4, 2009 at 6:04 pm #

My fiancee and I named our son West. So far no one has disliked it (to our faces at least) and there wont be a dozen other Wests at school. It’s kind of a cowboy/western name but unique at the same time. About the only thing someone can say is “West the Pest” but then again he can be called “Wild West” which is actually pretty cool.
    Congrats on your son. It will change your life….

18. Paul
    June 4, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

Another baby name suggestion: Jason!

- Masculine
    - Unambiguously a boy’s name
    - No obvious nicknames (James->Jim, Jimmy, etc.)
    - Not pretentious
    - Not too ordinary
    - Vastly more good than bad associations in popular culture
    - Works well with both of your last names

19. Bret W
    June 4, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

I think jeremy would be a great name. Good luck teresa!

20. Sword
    June 4, 2009 at 2:18 am #

Hey… Teresa just listened to you on the podcast… I just wanna suggest to you to think outside the box with a name.. my name is Sword and I know it is strange but it has really defined me as a person… I am not saying that you should give your son such a crazy name but remember it is going to define him.. if his name is David he is just going to be another David… My name has defined me and made me who I am… I am currently traveling through the world and as annoying as it is sometimes to explain my name hundreds of times to so many different people.. I realize that it makes me who I am and that it is what makes me unique…. Also I have a great relationship with my Mom and I am sure you would appreciate that… So anyway haha my advice is to just give your son a name that will help to define him as the person he should become… Why do you think the kid named butch is always 6’3 285 pounds? anyway good luck with the baby and you look radiant so stop worrying about what you look like and the baby will be fine.

21. Adrienne
    June 3, 2009 at 1:48 pm #

I’ve always liked the name Dominick-It’s not too weird, not too trendy and not too common.

If your boy is tough, he can be Dom. If he’s not so tough, he can stick with Nick. And if he’s 22 and wants to be taken seriously, he can go by the full name.

Love the blog, you are one of the few unique female voices out there and I appreciate you towing the line for the rest of us!

• Paul
      June 4, 2009 at 1:55 pm #

Er, you must not know about Teresa’s history with her ex-boyfriend… named Dominick! I’m fairly certain that name is off the table.

• Paul
        June 5, 2009 at 11:57 am #

My mistake, I recall now that Dominick was actually Teresa’s on-radio alias for her now-husband, to keep his real name secret. It was taken from the restaurant where they met.

She also called him “Batman” for a while. Now *there* is a good baby name :)

• Deann
          June 8, 2009 at 3:45 pm #

Dominic would be a fantastic choice because your son would have that story of where his parents met.

22. James Hunter
    June 3, 2009 at 1:45 pm #

The concern over the name James turning into Jim, Jimmy or the ever dreaded Jimbo is a valid one. I was called Jamie (nickname given by my parents) as a little boy but decided I needed a more adult sounding name in the seventh grade (possibly when I discovered girls) and so I changed it back to James.

I have found over the years that it is not as common a name as you might think. Part of the reason may be that some people get lazy by strangers trying to rename them, that it is easier to just go by what people want to call you.

But I can’t say that it happens often these days as compared to when I was much younger. Not sure if it is a generational thing or something only boys go through but it taught me to stand up for myself as I matured.

I was always fascinated by strangers that no sooner did I introduce myself as James, they jump right into calling me Jimbo. Really? Jimbo is where you started? Know a lot of Jimbos do you? But I didn’t get annoyed by it too much because it was often a good way to weed out the douche bags.

I just had a son on Saturday but opted for Jack. I am the third James in the family (and the only one actually called James) but the name will end on three. I wish you all the luck in choosing your son’s name.

23. Joe M.
    June 3, 2009 at 12:39 pm #

Really, I don’t mean to self-promote, but I feel like I really, really, made the case for naming your baby a relatively normal name last year:

I have daughters (Anna and Daphne, for the record, so, I feel like my baby-naming talents speak for themselves), and almost every parent I’ve talked to seems to agree with me that girl names are easier than boy names, so I understand that it’s tougher for you. I unfortunately don’t have any specific suggestions, but I implore you, for the kid’s sake: just name him a real, actual, relatively regular name.

T: love the blog, love you on Adam’s podcast, and you look gorgeous…

– Joe M.

24. Julian
    June 3, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

Hello T, my name is Julian Vinatieri which is a very unique name. But I always wanted my name to be JULIUS. I like Julius just a tad bit more, maybe I think it would have fitten my Italian last name a bit better. I don’t know how you feel about that one, but it is just a thought. I am 24 years old and my nicknames have always been Jules, Juge, and the girls call me JUJU. haha.

I also like Dante and Vincienzo! Good luck T!

• Rebecca
      June 13, 2009 at 7:37 am #

Julian, our second son is named Julius :-) We call him Jules. Our first son is Leo.

25. Walker
    June 3, 2009 at 11:31 am #

I have a boy named Garrett but I wanted the name Bridger after the Bridger-Teton National Forest. I don’t know if it works with the last name but it is my front runner for the next one! Miss you on the radio.

Walker

26. Jennifer
    June 3, 2009 at 11:30 am #

My son’s name is Chance…Chance Anthony…it fits him well. Good luck picking a nice name for your son!

27. Alan Downey
    June 3, 2009 at 10:59 am #

My wife’s got another 6-7 weeks, and we’ve settled on ‘Shawn.’

Just like you said about eliminating ex-boyfriends and other disqualified names, it took several sessions of viewing those internet baby name sites (sometimes you have to revisit them) to pick Shawn, which suits my Celtic lineage and the meaning of the name suited her religious sensitivities (it means “grace of God”). We also used the more phonetic spelling because “Sean” looks too much like “seen”–no matter how cool Sean Connery is! It’s become a totally successful pick, as nobody in our families have had any problem with it. (Really amazing!) I totally get your name-napping anxiety but since she and you don’t run in the same circles, you’re welcome to it.

28. Emily
    June 3, 2009 at 10:01 am #

I’m anti-androgynous names and I have (what’s probably an irrational) hatred of all of the trendy Aiden-Jaden-Caden names. Coming up with a name for our baby due at the end of this month has been difficult, to say the least. My husband still thinks Leonidas is an awesome name (from “300″ if you’re unfamiliar), and at this point, I’m seriously considering giving in because, really, we’re having a tough time agreeing on any other name. Names that we have vetoed each other on: Jasper, Roman, Bruno (thanks for ruining that one, Sasha Baron Cohen), Henry, Steve, Gabriel, Max (because I wanted a Maxwell and he wanted a Maximus), and Guiseppe. At this point, this child should just be a girl so we can use the name we picked out since before we were married. Good luck!

29. Colby
    June 3, 2009 at 4:06 am #

Wesley is a good name. Hey can you post a pic of your boobs thanks.

30. Court
    May 30, 2009 at 11:46 am #

Hi T
    I like Henry, Jameson, Grant, or Patrick.

Good luck boy names are tough!

31. kakers
    May 27, 2009 at 9:51 pm #

I wanted to go with the rat pack theme. My son’s name is Dino and he is wearing it well. It’s hard to name a human because you have to make it work for the baby, child then adult and grandpa. best of luck.

32. Erin
    May 27, 2009 at 5:46 pm #

I’m 17 weeks pregnant and having the same problem! The one name I liked (Cooper) was snagged by a friend of mine last week.

We’re contemplating Graer / Grayer.

(Assuming it’s a boy – we don’t know yet though!)

33. Marissa T.
    May 27, 2009 at 2:42 pm #

Boy names are so much harder than girls. You really have to consider that he has to have that name as a Man. It s going to be weird when all these Cadens and Jaydens grow up and become doctors and lawyers. You can get away with naming a girl Rainbow or Sunshine, and she could make it work, but you can’t do that to a boy. I too have a difficult last name, and 2 boys. The first one wasn’t too hard, Nathan, but the second one was rough. He almost came home from the hospital without a name. We grudgingly went with Nicholas, even though we both hate the alliteration thing. We just couldn’t agree on anything else. I regret it almost every day, especially since my husband’s whole family is bad with names. But, what could I do? Anyway, the name I really wnted was Dean, because most Deans are hot, and it was my Grandpa’s middle name. Another name we liked was Andrew, but you don’t get to decide if he becomes a Drew or an Andy, and we didn’t want to risk that he wouldn’t be cool enough to become Drew. Good luck?

34. Bob Bendick
    May 26, 2009 at 10:43 pm #

I highly recommend “Jack”.

Jack is always a classic.

Solid.

Simple.

Masculine.

(Definitely not as soft as Jim)

35. Briansmom
    May 26, 2009 at 7:47 pm #

Hi Teresa,
    I miss you and TACS so much! What about Brian spelled the right way (not “Ryan” with a B)? That’s my son’s name, but I’m happy to give it to you, especially considering how smart all the Brians I know are, not the least of which is our beloved Bald Bryan. It means “strong and noble.” Can’t think of a better fit.

36. Adrienne
    May 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

Hi Theresa,

I have an eight year old daughter, Jenna. I probably won’t need my boy name, so I share it with you for consideration. Caleb. Although, it might remind you a bit of the Aiden’s or Caden’s. Our second name was simple and classic, like your James…Jason. Good luck and keep us informed of the winner. I promise not to name nap it.

Adrienne

37. Kelly
    May 26, 2009 at 7:39 am #

Why not consider some of the “androgynous” names that you like for a girl for a boy? Don’t listen to those who say that such a name will be hard for a boy; I’m a guy named Kelly who likes his name.

• kelly-ann
      July 9, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

hi im having the same problem i just found out i was pregnant and want to figure out im from ireland and my husband doesnt like irish names hes all for big boy american names like mike and andrew and stuff i love the name dylan james. we thought of the name Jackolyn grace its different and pretty and nathan tyler. then i was like wat if we have two boys or twso girls so he thought of mikayla marie and we cant think of another boy name so go with a good strong name not like a name tht alot of gay guys r called my bffl is grant and hes gay so dont do tht and his name gets made fun of all the time just think and sit down itll come to u good luck if u have any ideas for me and my husband nick id love to know!

38. Beth G.
    May 24, 2009 at 6:50 pm #

My husband and I are planning on having children pretty soon, and one of the names for a boy he keeps trying to push on me is Javelin. I refuse to use that name, so it is up for grabs! I couldn’t name my son something so phallic and violent-associated, but others may not have any qualms about it.

I, personally, love “Eli”, and may use it. But seeing as the chances of us ever meeting are slim-to-none, I don’t mind throwing it out there.

best wishes!

39. Jettsmom
    May 23, 2009 at 6:56 pm #

My son’s name is Jett. It fits him perfectly. He’s dark and handsome and very clever, much like your son could be. A nice perk is when your kid rushes in the door from kindergarten and thanks you for giving him “the coolest name in the whole class!”

40. Coral
    May 22, 2009 at 3:40 pm #

As far as names go I like Corbin :)

but behindthename.com has a lot of different cool stuff that might help such as baby name stats (top 100 and 1000) up to 2008 so you can maybe skim those and get inspiration. Also, you can search names by their meaning or language of origin. It’s one of my favorite websites :D

41. Kelly
    May 22, 2009 at 2:08 pm #

Had a boy name picked out before we got pregnant… Gavin…a little Scottish, but so cute.

Then, we had a girl, and could NOT come up with a name for what seems like forever. You think girl names are easy, but you’re wrong. The adorably androgynous names you speak of are tricky. If she ends up cute, you’re golden, but if she’s slightly boyish, she’s ruined. And the super cutesy names like Lily, Maddy, Hailey…very sweet, but can you picture a little Maddy being a Harvard law school professor? Not so much. Its tough, Im telling you.

Also, I love the name Evan for a boy…happens to be my husband’s name, which is why I can never use it. But, he’s handsome and witty, and you can steal his name if you’d like.

We went with Mia, if you’re curious. She’s even sweeter than we dreamed. :)

42. matt
    May 22, 2009 at 2:40 am #

for a somewhat non sequitur, i had just about the time of my life the other saturday night building an rc car on my dining room table with a bottle of pinot noir and Casablanca on the laptop via netflix in front of me. i highly recommend

43. brooke
    May 21, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

Samson, Julian

• Julian
      June 3, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

good choice! haha

44. Shanesmommy
    May 21, 2009 at 6:37 pm #

As you can see from my name, I am a new mommy to a beautiful 6 month old boy named Shane and here’s the back story on his name:

We originally liked the name Troy (and it’s yours if you like), but thought we should have a couple of names to mull over before he was born. We already knew his middle name was going to be William (which we also loved), named after my dear father who passed away a few years ago. The more we thought about his middle name, the more we fell in love with the idea of having names that meant something to our family. Then we thought about my husband’s sister and brother, who are were twins and died at birth and 4 months after birth, respectively. His brother’s name was Brandon. That didn’t seem to fit our unborn child at the time, so we went with Brandon’s middle name, Shane.

At first it seemed a little sad to have our baby’s entire name derive from dead loved ones, but then we soon loved the idea of him carrying on these names and having his “namesake angels” watching him from above.

And now that he’s here, he couldn’t have been a Troy – he’s truly a Shane. To confirm what another poster said, yes, all Shanes tend to be good looking, as I have the cutest baby on the planet! :) Let me know where I can send you a picture as inspiration to what “a Shane” can be.

P.S. My husband hates trendy names and also loved Shane because it was different without being trendy or as TACS says, “F’ed Out”.

45. DLD
    May 21, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

I have two boys and their names are Max and Jason. I think they are both nice names. Max is just Max – not Maximillian. We named him after my late grandfather. You can’t shorten the name Max or give him a nickname – i.e. James to Jim. We played with the names to make sure you can’t rhyme them with bad things. Max the Ax…not so bad. My sister suggested Jason…I think she got it from “General Hospital.” Someone once told me that all Jason’s are hot. I’m his mom and he is only six so I can’t ever be a good judge of that. Middle names – Max Anthony and Jason Alexander…go ahead and giggle at the second one. I was running out of time at the hospital and just wrote it in. I think we had played around with Alexander as a name for my older son but didn’t like it shortened to Alex. We also thought about Maverick…I think my husband liked it because it came from “Top Gun.” BTW – I had the same reaction when I found out that I was having a boy – with my first one. I, like you, always imagined having a girl. My first reaction was, “what will I do with a boy? I don’t know how to play with trucks and army guys.” What I found out is that boys love their moms. My kids are now 6 (almost 7) and 10 and they still want hugs and cuddling from mom. Sorry to ramble. Thanks for keeping us posted on your thoughts and progress. Please visit Adam’s podcast more often.

46. Chris Irvin
    May 21, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

We used Henry. Our runner-up name was Sam (a play on Sam Ervin, liberal hero of civil liberties and enemy of McCarthy and Nixon)

We want to use Hoagy (as in Hoagy Carmichael of “Nearness to You” and “Skylark” fame) for our second. Feel free to either if they fit.

47. Tricia
    May 21, 2009 at 4:25 pm #

Hi Teresa – I really enjoy your writing. You make me laugh out loud and that’s rare for me.

Have you thought of the name SHEA? It’s not to far from Shane; still short but it may get a different reaction from the fella’s. Whatever you choose, I’m sure will be perfect.

It was a real delight hearing you back with BB and Adam recently on the podcast. Sad news from Bryan, but the magic of you three made me enjoy it still.

Tricia
    Michigan

P.S. When I was young, I hated my name because it was always being mispronounced and spelled incorrectly. Now I like that I’m generally the only Tricia in the crowd. It’s a bit different without being weird.

48. mark
    May 21, 2009 at 1:06 pm #

I always liked Zachery. Zach is the coolest name ever.

49. Dignan
    May 21, 2009 at 3:43 am #

Teresa, I love you, and I hate to crap on your waffle (yes, I just misused a metaphor, what of it?), but my parents named me Shane, and I hated it. I remember being two years old and hating my name. I’ve never stopped hating it. Also, I’m sad to report that not all boys named Shane are attractive.

My favorite character from my favorite movie is named Dignan, so that will be my suggestion.

• Amy
      June 5, 2009 at 1:03 am #

Is that Dignan from Bottle Rocket?? My sister’s husband was SET on naming their son Dignan and calling him Diggy to pay homage to Bottle Rocket, and while my sister entertained the idea through her pregnancy, she ended up putting the kibosh on it when he was born and naming him Owen.

I personally like Elliott for a boy (spelled just that way). I’m not a fan of Shane. Please don’t…

• Joe Strasser
        June 29, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

We did indeed name our son Dignan (Diggy or Digger for short). Imagine two Dignan Strassers in the L.A. area. C’mon, Teresa, let’s go for two!!!

50. louisasmom
    May 20, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

My one-year-old daughter’s name is Louisa, and the whole time I was pregnant I was convinced I was having a boy! The name we had picked was August. We loved it so much that we decided to use it as Louisa’s middle name (in addition to Shalom, which could also be lovely for a boy).